Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Last Words of a Man Who Lived Well

These are the final words in John Paton's autobiography.  He was a Scottish missionary who went to the New Hebrides Islands (now called Vanuatu, about 1500 miles NE of Australia) in the 1800's.  As the adage goes, he who lives well, dies well. 

Well, reading these lines, my heart couldn't help but yearn to give my all for the glory of God in Christ.  I hope it inspires a red-hot passion for Jesus in anyone who reads them as well.

Oh that I had my life to begin again! I would consecrate it anew to Jesus in seeking the conversion of the remaining Cannibals on the New Hebrides. Doubtless these poor degraded savages are a part of the Redeemer's inheritance, given to Him in the Father's Eternal Covenant, and thousands of them are destined through us to sing His praise in the glory and the joy of the Heavenly World!
 And should the record of my poor and broken life lead any one to consecrate himself to Mission work at Home or Abroad that he may win souls for Jesus, or should it even deepen the Missionary spirit in those who already know and serve the Redeemer of us all - for this also, and for all through which He has led me by His loving and gracious guidance, I shall, unto the endless ages of Eternity, bless and adore my beloved Master and Savior and Lord, to whom be glory for ever and ever.
Oh Lord, give me this kind of heart, to lose my life for Jesus, that I might truly live in Him & for Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment